[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Wimbledon Odds; Seeding Tournaments

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Monday, 27 June 2011, at 1:45 a.m.

There are sixteen men and, coincidentally, sixteen women remaining. (I used to believe that sixteen was one of the numbers on the doubling cube until I realized that the doubling cube has no numbers, only numerals.)

According to www.betfair.com: Federer is 1/2.82 = 35.5%, Nadal is 1/3.95 = 25.3%, Djokovic is 1/4.8 = 20.8%, Murray is 1/9 = 11.1%. I realize these add up to over 100%. No one else is over 2%.

Serena is 1/4 = 25%, Sharapova is 1/5.4 = 18.5%, Kvitova is 1/7.4 = 13.5%, Wozniaki is 1/9.6 = 10.4%, Venus is 1/9.4 = 10.6%, Lisicki is 1/10.5 = 9.5%, and Azarenka is 1/12.5 = 8%.

All the talking heads on TV have mindless discussions about whose chances they like, but if they really wanted to provide useful and interesting info the their viewers, they would give these odds.

Change of topic: Tennis tournaments are seeded, i.e., the players are distributed in the draw to ensure that the best do not face each other in the early rounds. Should backgammon tournaments be seeded, assuming that seeded players have no greater chance of getting a bye than non-seeded players?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.