[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to improve backgammon: Adopt a world ranking system like tennis or golf

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Tuesday, 5 July 2011, at 10:13 a.m.

I suggest that it's time that backgammon adopt a world ranking system like tennis and golf. I regard the current once-every-two years voting for Giants as pretty lame. It's only done every other year, is a vote/popularity contest, is not based on actual tournament results, and only displays the top 64. In tennis and golf the top 1000+ players in the world are ranked based on tournament results from the most recent two years and varies from week-to-week. Backgammon should do the same.

I like Bill Davis's ABT points system. To create a world ranking I propose that 1.) International events be added and 2.) the world ranking be the points won only during the past 104 weeks (two years). It would change every week.

If such a system were adopted, I contend that worldwide tournament attendance and general interest in backgammon would rise.

-Ken Larsen, Director of Durham/Chapel Hill (NC) Backgammon Club

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.