[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Recording Matches at BG Events

Posted By: Stick
Date: Saturday, 9 July 2011, at 12:17 a.m.

At last weekend's ABT tourney in Flint, Michigan there was a lot of streaming going on. High quality streaming via ustream, the best we've seen so far at a backgammon event. The reason for this is that Ben (BenF on the forums, Ben Friesen irl) brought his entire computer split screen set up along with hardware and software to make this possible. It would be ideal if this happened at every tournament of course but it does raise some questions that I thought about over the weekend and am not sure I have all the best answers to.

Ben is recording these matches and while anyone could input the matches from the feed and distribute them not many people would be willing to do this. It takes a lot of time. Depending on the players involved in the match it would probably take 75% (give or take) of the time of the actual match to input the match. Now, the people who were having their matches streamed wanted a copy of the match but we can't expect someone to put this much time and effort into recording and entering a match to do it for free can we? I would think not and some players did pay Ben for his services, others didn't.

Ben would try to get the 'best' matches happening at the time to be streamed. Either two Giants or the furthest round in a main event, etc... So because the players agreed to be streamed and asked for a copy doesn't necessarily mean they would want to pay for a copy of the match but might see it as an exchange. "Yes, you can stream my match but I want a copy of it and no I don't plan on paying for it." Thoughts?

On top of this what if another party not part of the match wants a copy of the match? If the players involved are paying for the match shouldn't this individual have to also? Should Ben have to have the approval of both parties involved in the match to distribute it to others? (of course we know he doesn't have to legally, but how should it work to keep everyone happy?) Let's say for the sake of argument that Player A pays Ben $25 and Player B pays Ben $25 and we're going to allow 3rd party watchers to buy the match, what should the price be?

Another scenario that happened was that one of the players who was allowing his matches to be broadcast and was going to pay Ben for his matches wanted all the matches he recorded from the weekend, is this okay?

In short, I would like to clarify some of these terms and Ben could have a sign or a sheet of paper/pamphlet to hand out to people in the future so that people know what to expect and nobody gets offended by allowing their matches to be broadcast or being expected to pay something if they want the match files etc...

I gave you a vague outline of some of the questions that need answered, there are still more so if you think of any pertinent to the situation please answer them first instead of waiting for them to be asked.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.