[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I'm not so sure

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Wednesday, 4 April 2012, at 1:40 p.m.

In Response To: Complete nonsense ! (neilkaz)

I subscribe to the conventional wisdom that if you're not sure whether it's a double, then as a practical matter you probably should cube. But let's unpack this a little. If the axiom is true, part of the reason is that when you're not sure about the position, that's probably because it's in a grey area where doubling is not far wrong, if it is. Another part is that if the position is confusing to you, it may very well be confusing to your opponent, making it more likely you will induce an incorrect take/pass.

But I think we can go too far with this line of thinking. If you're so clueless about a given position that you can't even say whether it's too good to double, not good enough, or both or neither, then the reason might just be that you don't understand the position at all. I'm not sure "double the stakes whenever you feel totally clueless" is necessarily a winning approach.

To put it another way, if you show the position to my 5-year-old, I'm pretty sure she'll have no clue whether it's too good or not good enough. Does that mean she should double?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.