[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Defend your cube action - elo diff.

Posted By: Mislav Kovacic
Date: Friday, 19 October 2012, at 9:02 a.m.

In Response To: Defend your cube action - elo diff. (Mochy)

Mochy, thanks for sharing your thoughts and congrats on a very nice PR in that match!

When looking at Fish METs, one thing I've noticed is that, as a favorite, one should be passing gammonish positions (blitzes) VERY early against weaker opponents. Theoretically correct (and easy) takes become monster passes.
So I was surprised to see you take in game 1. Position was a pass anyway but even if it was a slight take, versus particular opponent where you're such a big favorite it should be a huge pass. At least according to Fish METs, and I tend to agree. It looked as if you've donated your opponent 4 easy points. Why not just give him 1 point and kill him in the remainder of the match?

Regarding position 3, Fish MET shows a huge No Double. Intuitively, it also seems like a big risk to double at 2a score and give your weaker opponent chance to come back into the match with a bit of luck. Maybe you thought there was a good chance that he would pass as he did in that position you posted? Still, it feels like a too big of a risk to me.

Position 2 is the toughest one. Even though it's a fairly easy take theoretically, I suspect that it might actually be a pass versus particular opponent. If I were you I'd pass. But it sure is a tough call.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.