[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Test your bearin technique

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Sunday, 6 January 2008, at 9:27 p.m.

In Response To: Test your bearin technique (Chuck Bower)

I would definitely bear off one checker (8-6, 5-off). Besides the merits of the position itself, in the event that white later hits a checker, blue's subsequent play will be relatively obvious. White's play will be relatively difficult. White is likely to make more subsequent checker play errors than Blue. This is a factor to remember in most containment / post-ace point games. Because of human error, they tend to play better for the side with one checker back than computer analysis shows. With the five point open and blue retaining a four or five point home board, this effect is magnified. I skew close decisions towards the gammon greedy play due to human error: 8-6, 5-off.

As a related point, if my opponent doesn't know when to recube these positions, I skew my choice even further in favor of agressive bear-off. I've seen some surprisingly weak cube play from low to mid-level championship players in post-ace point games. I know of one person who tends to recube them the turn after his opponent enters.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.