[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Common Dilemma -- Looking Down the Road -- OTB

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Saturday, 28 June 2008, at 5:48 p.m.

In Response To: Common Dilemma -- Looking Down the Road (Bill Riles)

I rather quickly played 7/1, 5/3 without thinking about it much at all.

Of course, he comes in, I roll 6-3, get hit, ultimately give up a second checker and get gammoned for the match.

So, in reviewing the match I see that Snowie tagged me for -.054 (rolled out) for not originally playing 7/1, 7/5. Essentially the same number of wins either way but I get gammoned 2% more often with the original safe play.

I scratched my bald head.

Seems the Snowie clearing play gives the one immediate indirect and, if not hit, then I'm essentially home free. Certainly, I won't be gammoned for the match.

But it takes a fairly wicked sequence to leave a shot and to get hit and to get gammoned playing safely originally. If he gets in, I can roll a 6-3 (17-1 against, which I did) and he has to hit me (25-11 against, which he did) and then to get gammoned even further increases the odds. However, getting gammoned costs me the match.

I'm still a little confused.

I ran for money where the gammons are not so punishing and, sure enough, Snowie likes the original safety play by 0.03. I also reset the score to 8-5/11 to reduce the gammon cost and, again, Snowie likes the original safety play by 0.01.

So, lesson learned. Where the gammon costs the match, having to clear only one stripped point rather than clearing two stripped points might well offset a slight amount of early risk presented by one indirect from the bar.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.