[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OLM Wed. Feb. 11th

Posted By: Marty Storer
Date: Friday, 13 February 2009, at 2:34 p.m.

In Response To: OLM Wed. Feb. 11th (neilkaz)

Here, making the 5 looks a little too big, so I'd choose between moving both checkers up or playing 24/21, trying for the better anchor. I really can't decide between them; the checker on the 23 point is more exposed than on the 24, but the extra exposure may be acceptable considering that White would rather attack on his 4 point than on his 3 or 2. It's been my experience that you should go to the 21 when in doubt, so that's what I'd almost certainly do over the board.

A good example of when it's right to bring up both back checkers with 21 is after opponent's opening 11 played (in some proposition situation, we can imagine) 8/7(2) 6/5(2). The overall exposure is comparable to that after 24/21, and there's more pressure on White's blot and outfield. Two up is clearly right in that position.

So often in the opening, it's just wrong to bring a single builder to the outfield behind the 6-7-8 points after initial 61. The fact that two builders are tied down to the 7 point, combined with the stripped 8 point, decrease the usual building potential given by an outfield builder.

An often-seen exception is when the builder backs up a 5-point slot.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.