[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A special request for Stick and other rollers on BGO

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 21 September 2011, at 6:50 a.m.

In Response To: Longer Money Rollout - Cube Centered (Stick)

This is a special request for Stick and the other rollers who share their results on BGO.

Please leave the program version number in the rollout data you post. It is an important part of documentation of the rollout for anyone who might try to duplicate the result. More importantly, it is critical to know the software version number of a rollout in case the program that produced it is later found to have bugs, and the rollout must be discarded.

Here are a few anecdotes where just that occurred.

In his discussion of the R4 position from Backgammon Openings, Nack said today:

Stick has not been able to find (at least not yet) those GnuBG rollouts from 2006, but he was able to determine (from a no-longer-functioning link where he had posted the rollouts for Paul) that the version number was 14.3 devel, one that often produced corrupted rollouts (as we discovered only years later -- indeed, some are posted on the navigable early game rollout compendium of this site).

I am not sure Nack is right about the Snowie rollouts posted on BGO. I've been systematically reviewing them of late, and I must say, there are very few Snowie rollouts remaining. It looks like Stick has given them a good culling. Still, it is hard to say definitively because the ones that remain do not carry the Snowie version number.

In a related issue, in April, Xavier reported that all rollouts made in XG1 that used the opening book are inaccurate by a small amount. They contain a bias that can be corrected without rerolling them.

The opening book problem rippled into early beta versions XG2. This rollout from version2.00.161.beta, for instance, is corrupt. Xavier explains the problem is his reply. The official release version of XG2 has long since fixed the problem, but I remember seeing a post from a bewildered Neil Kazaross wondering what had happened to a rollout he had posted on BGO. In his reply, Stick explained that he had pulled it do to bugs.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.