[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Daft as a bush

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017, at 2:02 a.m.

In Response To: SMITH and JONES (Ray Kershaw)

"Daft as a bush" is used in the title of this article. (Also in this article, and in this article, but these make fun of George W. Bush.)

Here, I think is the best reference of "daft as a bush":

In his best-known work, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Adams explained the supreme utility of the towel in intergalactic travel:

“…it has great practical value – you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you – daft as a bush, but very, very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

The reason I checked is that I actually cut and paste a bunch of "British sayings" from a website (which I can no longer find) that included "Daft as a bush." Here is that list:

.....Airy-fairy – Not strong, weak.
.....Ankle-biters – Children
.....Arse-licker – A sycophant
.....Arsemonger – A person that generate contempt.
.....Chuffer – An annoying perfusion
.....Daft as a bush – Silly, Crazy
.....Dead from the neck up – Stupid.
.....Gannet – Greedy person.
.....Gone to the dogs – rotten, deteriorated
.....Ligger – freeloader
.....Like a dog with two dicks – Man whore
.....Mad as a bag of ferrets – Crazy
.....Maggot – A despicable person
.....Mingebag – A bad person, an asshole who might be cheap.
.....Not batting on a full wicket – Eccentric person a little crazy or odd.
.....Plug-Ugly – Very Ugly person

[Sensitive readers: please forgive my not deleting the vulgar lines. I didn't want to doctor the evidence. :)]

See the sixth entry? I didn't mention it before, because I thought (after your correction) that I must have somehow deleted the "r" in "brush." In fact, someone else did! Either that, or it's become an acceptable alternative. To be clear, my search verified that your "daft as a brush" (with the "r") is much more common.

Are there any other phrases from that site's British word list above that jump out at you as wrong, misdefined, or I should otherwise disregard?

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.