[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

–4 –5 Redouble? Take?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Monday, 24 April 2017, at 10:36 p.m.

In Response To: –4 –5 Redouble? Take? (scotty)

scotty wrote:

GNU has cubed me in similar situations many times, and I have fanned and been closed out for gammon countless times.

At this score, if you take the cube on 4, getting gammoned isn't any worse than simply losing the game, so Blue's percentage of gammon wins is irrelevant to the take decision. It's just a question of whether White can win 25% of the time (or 25.7% according to the MET you're using). I find this difficult to judge; I'm guessing the answer is yes, but am not sure.

Typically, at this score, if Blue wins a lot of gammons, he shouldn't redouble, because as you said he kills his gammons by doubling. If he has a very strong position then he'll be too good and if his position isn't that strong then he'll be not good enough. However, there is a window in between where, if White's take/pass decision is close, Blue is supposed to redouble. The QF makes me think that Paul's position is in this window, and it's a redouble with a close take/pass decision. OTB, I would probably not redouble.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.