[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT - Tiger

Posted By: christian munk-christensen
Date: Monday, 13 August 2018, at 5:50 p.m.

In Response To: OT - Tiger (Bill Finneran)

OK, I have to admit that I was hugely impressed by Tiger this year. So many real improvements to his game that it is unbelievable:

- His back and knees held up all season, most likely thanks to his new swing which strains his back less, especially coming through the ball.

- Much improved swing where he keeps his height during the swing which enables him to rotate more freely through the ball. He has picked up a lot of club speed and fixed his iron play. Tremendous achievement. Without having checked the strokes gained stats for approach shots, I would expect Tiger to top this category or as a minimum to be in the top 5.

- He has fixed his putting. What a putting exhibition he put on yesterday. That club is totally what kept him in the tournament.

- He has fixed his chipping, or at least he is close to having done that.

At the Open a month ago, he choked under the pressure, as expected, and immediately went double bogey-bogey when he made it to the top of the leaderboard on hole 63. Yesterday, he didn't seem to choke, in fact I think he even improved his game on the back 9 and started to hit a few fairways. Yes, he hit a poor drive on 17 and got lucky it wasn't wet but he was poor from the tees all day so that was almost to be expected. But it seems he had gained so much confidence this season that he could stave of the negative nerves yesterday. Very, very impressive!

As far as I can see his only weakness is now getting the ball in play. He hits way too few drives in the fairway and on other courses with more penal rough that is a disaster.

Bottom line, I am bullish on Tiger, though not to the extent that I see him winning another major. In January I made a very large bet that Tiger wouldn't win a major this year. He improved so much this year that I almost feel a bit lucky not to lose that bet. I will need much better odds to make the same bet next year, if Tiger stays healthy!

I expect The Open to be Tiger's best shot at a major win next season due to the wide fairways at St. Andrews. I give him no chance at Bethpage where you have to hit driver and keep it in play.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.