[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Re: Ballard v. Sylvester - Game 3

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 18 May 2007, at 9:42 p.m.

In Response To: Ballard v. Sylvester - Game 3 (Stick)

I see six candidates:

{24/13}, {13/7, 11/6}, {13/7, 13/8}, {13/7, 6/1*}, {2(2)}, {1*(2)}.

Among the last three (hitting loose on the ace, PoHing on the ace, or making the 2-point) it appears that making the acepoint is better than the other two. You don't leave a direct shot; you put opp on the bar; you don't make points six apart.

24/13 is a racing play but you are effectively behind in the race since 17/36 you're losing 18 pips plus White's roll. (There is some racing value in being out of your opp's board which isn't shown in the pipcount. But that's not enough here.)

Between the two 13/7 plays, Blue really can use the builder on the 11-point so I prefer 13/8 to 11/6. (Fourth checker on the 8-point isn't bad, either.)

So for me it's down to 1*(2) or 13/7, 13/8. There's something nice about PoH, even on the acepoint. Note Blue's remaining builders are well placed to continue building the homeboard and/or outfield.

Finally, QF tells us that the 80's play is likely NOT making the guff.

1*(2).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.