[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Hows your checkerplay in Prime games? 3 Positions

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Sunday, 13 December 2009, at 6:32 p.m.

In Response To: Hows your checkerplay in Prime games? 3 Positions (Adam Versaw)

1) effective DMP. If you had the solid five prime and opp was at the edge, you smack him. 8/7, 8/2* does just that. You want White to crunch his brittle homeside structure and when s/he enters that often happens. Initially I was concerned with the potential future failure to roll a six ("sixes don't grow on trees") but it looks to me like that problem can solve itself.

8/7, 8/2*.

2) Now I have a nice five prime and opp isn't at the edge. I'd like to keep that going. So 20/15 is my 5 and now I have to decide on a ace. Hitting has some pluses but also some minuses (e.g. that hitting checker is considerably better on the 3-point than the 2-point. I'm not hitting (yet). 15/14 looks like it covers more (when missed).

20/14.

3) Score says double early. White has tons of play, I can see that. But Blue already has the full prime (at least for now) while White is just wishing for one. A Robertie-ism: one of the great things about 6-primes is that when they break they become 5-primes.

D+T.

4) Like Robertie just said... Still have to find the best play. 10/7 and now find an ace. 10/9, 7/6, and 5/4 are all possibilities, each with a flaw. 10/9 puts a third checker on a point where you might be willing to use the second checker as a builder. 7/6 loses some diversity. 6/5 moves a spare from the best place it could be to a worse spot. There seems to be some duplication of sixes if you stay on the 10-point. Even though Blue would like to put all his focus on the homeside, escaping the back checkers is in the back of my mind, anyway. I usually don't make a play like 10/9, but it might be the least of evils.

10/7, 10/9.

A suggestion for future problem posting. Although some others do as you have done -- putting multiple problems in the same post, I personally find it better to see them in four different posts. Part of the reason is I feel odd only answering part of a post but often I need (a lot) more time to think about one position than another. And if I wait until I figure out all my answers it might be too late to post anything. What I'm saying is that if I'm any indication of the typical responder, you're likely to get more responses for each problem by putting one problem per post.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.