[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Excessive criticism?

Posted By: Matt Cohn-Geier
Date: Tuesday, 13 April 2010, at 4:10 p.m.

In Response To: Excessive criticism? (Timothy Chow)

This was my thought exactly. In fact I am quite surprised to learn that apparently MCG and Mochy were supposed to report a takepoint that took recube vig into account already. For an analogy, I could imagine delegating the task of computing the raw pip count or even something like the Keith count, which is well-defined, but to delegate the task of estimating wastage (in the sense of epc), which in practice involves some judgment, doesn't sound like the best team strategy.

It is easy to theorycraft but putting everything into practice in a way that makes you play better as a team is more difficult than it sounds on paper. We just went with what worked.

Since we were averaging somewhere around 1.9-2.0 XG PR in our sessions I don't think there are many teams that could beat us.

I'm convinced that effective gammons are valuable tool when it comes to these tough match cube decisions, but so far I think I've only managed to convince Joe Russell. I guess I need to work out more concrete examples to prove my case.

I don't understand effective gammons. Maybe you have something here but to me it kind of sounds like adding epicycles. But perhaps you (or anyone else) can explain why our takepoint is much closer to the fully live value than to the cubeless value in a position where I did not think we would get much out of the cube. I still don't understand it. For example I don't think we can recube if we roll an ace, and if we can it's extremely light. Usually our board will crash and by the time we escape with a 6 we will have lost our market by a few light years. We can cash when we reach ~65% but we don't rate to get close most of the time, in my estimation.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.