[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The Impossible 3s

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 28 June 2007, at 8:10 p.m.

In Response To: The Impossible 3s (Stick)

Very interesting.

If you cover the acepoint you are forced to give opp at 16 (or 17) shots. By playing 7/4, 15/12 you leave (13 or) 14 shots. [Exact number of shots depends upon whether or not you advance the 13-point to the 10-point.] So it's about three fewer shots to leave the acepoint uncovered. Is it worth it? (Let's come back to that later.)

I want to have checkers to play for a few rolls. That argues for 13/10(2).

Staying on the 20-point gives you some (but not a huge amount) of protection against a G. More importantly by staying back White must run five checkers past it. That's potentially quite a few future shots. Moving up to the 17-point (or worse, the 14-point) takes the pressure off White's checkers on his/her 9-point. And it doesn't seem to add much pressure to the checkers on his/her 16-point (your 9-point).

So I've decided to keep the 20-point. And to get checkers to play with I'm moving 13/10(2). Now we're back to the original issue: cover the acepoint and leave 17 shots or play 7/4, 13/10 and leave 13 shots? My gut says "concern yourself with the first thing that can happen" and that's White hitting. So minimize shots.

15/12, 13/10(2), 7/4 and hope my play is no worse than Stick & Company's OtB choice.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.