[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Everything Is Quite Correct

Posted By: mamabear
Date: Friday, 29 June 2007, at 1:56 a.m.

In Response To: OLM Thurs. June 28th (tansley)

Yes, it is G&S, from The Mikado. The words of this song have evolved (adapted?) more than once to suit different times. The original included quite a few people who supposedly wouldn't be missed that it would be politically incorrect, grossly inaccurate, or both, to include today. Here is a link to words close to the original little list though an actual pejorative reference to the race of the "serenader" has been replaced by a reference to the instrument he plays.

The quaint reference to the "lady novelist" was later replaced by "the Prohibitionist", now merely irrelevant. I haven't seen the show lately, so perhaps there have been other changes. Of course, parodies abound...here's a verse I like from this link:

There's the pestilential pundits who write without a clue—

All men with bloated bellies who hang out guzzling brew—

All children who play computer games and beat you just like that—

All people who like a glutton eat but keep their tummies flat—

The terrifying boss you've only just met, who on first names insists—

They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed!

I agree with those who say we should have something at least resembling the original lyrics for recordings, but they can mess around with them for live performances. This song is supposed to be funny, and tailoring it to a specific modern audience can make it evoke the same response it did when performed in Victorian England. That qualifies as authenticity just as well as remaining faithful to the original lyrics, IMHO.

OK, enough kulcher for tonight, and enough bloviating about recordings vs. performance...good call Tansley.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.