[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is your error rate on tough problems?

Posted By: wilcox
Date: Saturday, 6 August 2011, at 2:25 p.m.

My vacation comes to a close tomorrow morning, and with it most of my flare-up of curiosity with how far backgammon has come in the past dozen years or so. I commend the bot creators. I think Stick is doing a great job on this forum - his quiz analysis is thorough and easy to read. Others are clearly contributing in a variety of ways to keep the game strong, despite having entered an era in which making a strong consistent living from the game is virtually impossible.

I started with the Hickey/Storer quiz from their excellent book and proceeded to nearly every challenging question I could find anywhere (mostly here) with bot results which appeared meaningful, followed by the Daily Quiz solved problems. (I have yet to see results for the ones Stick didn't select to analyze.) In the first two zones of positions I consistently had a very narrow error rate range. The DQ results were about 20% worse, which I attribute to a slightly ratcheted-up degree of difficulty - although maybe that's just an excuse :-) It turned out that my cube and checker error rate was nearly identical, whatever that means.

My primitive way of describing this error rate: if I got one position wrong by .04 and the next one correct, my rate was -.02 For cube decisions, I lumped the D/ND with the T/P to get one result instead of two.

I'm curious if even a couple of you have tracked your own error rate on tough positions. If you don't mind sharing, could you include your current estimated PR?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.