[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b

Posted By: Sharikov
Date: Tuesday, 30 August 2011, at 6:07 p.m.

In Response To: Chow's Checkerplay Challenge #2, part b (Timothy Chow)

6. Our main priority is to not let lone red checker escape. 8/7(2) 6/5(2) builds a 4-prime, but red has a good prospect of escaping with a 6. The blocking point on 8 is more efficient in containing the red checker back.

So, 6/5(2) 4/3(2).

7. We are ahead in the race, so 20/16 18/16 is certainly a candidate to get home safely and efficiently. However, if we close the inner board quickly, we are winning a gammon, so bringing down builders for the 4-point might accomplish that. I think having more builders for the 4-point wins way more gammons than just getting home safely.

So, 18/16 13/9.

8. We probably have the best chance to win the game if we attack with 10/4* 6/1. However, if white enters and hits our blot, we are in danger of losing a gammon and hence losing the match right away. I think we should play safe and not risk losing the gammon and the match. The safe play that leaves fewest escaping numbers for white seems to be 7/2 7/1. We are probably winning fewer games with safe play than with bold play, but at least we are not risking to lose the match.

So, 7/2 7/1.

9. I don't see an alternative to 12/7 10/5 9/4(2). After the big double we are not hopelessly behind in the race, and we leave a checker on 16 to have a chance to hit white if he manages to jump over our prime.

10. I don't see any other play but 23/18 10/9*. It seems that we are then about 50% favorite to win.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a beginner just starting to learn the game, so probably most of my reasoning is way off base.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.