[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nactation assumptions

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Friday, 1 January 2010, at 3:31 p.m.

In Response To: Learning the easy way (Andreas)

Andreas: 13/7

= D acc 6 convention ?

Nack: You are technically correct. However, some people might feel that hitting is obvious enough to warrant an assumption, in which case they might interpret D as 13/8 7/6*. To guard against that interpretation, I would use "7."

By the same token, I would not use D to describe 13/8 7/6* (or d for 17/12 7/6*), because some people might feel that hitting is not obvious enough to warrant such an assumption. A safer way to assume the hit is "8." Safer still is to describe both checker movements with O (or o for 17/12 7/6*), which as you know means Outer: into and out of the outer board.

Also "safe" is H for 13/8 7/6* (or h for 17/12 7/6*), though it makes a different assumption -- that your reader knows that H uses a down convention and 6pt tie-breaker. For inexperienced nactatees, therefore, I would either use H and explain it, or use O or 8 (and hopefully explain H at the earliest opportunity).

Assume makes an ass out of u and me, so for cases in which a play theme doesn't seem entirely clear I recommend using a bulletproof character, and there is generally one available. At the same time, it is prudent to bear in mind not only the playing level but also the Nactation knowledge of your intended reader.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.