[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Good weekend for armchair spectators (OT)

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Saturday, 16 July 2011, at 3:20 p.m.

"Weekend" includes more than just Saturday+Sunday, but you may have already missed the first half.

Womens World Cup finals two matches, (British) Open Championship golf, live coverage of WSOP main event.

Others can fill in re: soccer/football. And I've only watched a small amount of WSOP so far, but (new) commentator Antonio Esfandiari (sp?) is excellent, IMO, with insights on what players are likely (or is 'possibly' a better word?) thinking. This fills in a gap we usually don't see and is particularly appropriate with the hole cards being concealed (live).

As usual, I give ESPN/ABC the third ranking of the three US TV networks that cover golf, although they are a lot better than in the past. Positive marks to MC Mike Turico (sp?), Andy North, Bill Kratzert, and Paul Azinger. (The backup MC -- can't remember his name -- is decent.) Brickbats for the vindictive Curtis Strange and the always pretentious Peter Allis (sp?). They are poster children for the exposition that intimate knowledge (and I'm being generous with that opinion) combined with poor delivery/discretion are worse than silence.

Regarding the progress of players, at this point (midway through the 3rd round) I'm pulling for three guys who don't have many chances remaining to win a major: Miguel Jiminez, Tomas Bjorn, and Darrin Clarke. If there is an unexpected US player (though not as obscure as recent champions Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis) it's looking like Chad Campbell. It's often said that growing up in Texas is an advantage in the wind, and I'm pretty sure Campbell hails from there. It might help that he has a Scottish name, too. :)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.