[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Volatility (and XG outputs)

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 20 December 2011, at 6:09 p.m.

You know you're getting old when many here weren't even playing the game when Jellyfish was king of the backgammon sea. JF thought and reported (only) cubelessly, but had a useful feature of showing volatility in cube decisions. (If I recall, 'volatility' was the variance of the equities of the 36 possible outcomes of the next roll.)

'Modern' bots have compensating tools such as the (Sho Sungoku) temperature maps which help visualize. However, a single number (i.e. JF's volatility) gives a quick view of market losing potential when used in conjunction with the static equity of the position. Anyone besides me miss that?

I don't know all of XG's features so maybe there is a volatility calculator there and I'm not finding it. While we're on the subject of XG, I've never figured out how to use the sideways pill-capsule illustration in the evaluation box. (I did try to find an explanation in the help file.) If someone could point me to the documentation for that I would be appreciative.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.