[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

bracket error

Posted By: leemo
Date: Wednesday, 28 December 2011, at 6:12 a.m.

I entered the 64-entry 1pt Crocodile at a recent tournament, and won my first two rounds. I went on to win my R3 match as posted in the bracket, after having my op confirmed and pointed out by the TD. Now I should be in the QF.

An error was later discovered in the posted bracket, and I should have met a different player at R3.

The TD asked if I would mind voiding my R3 win, which would return me to R3 and effectively halve my expected equity. I had no problem with this to keep the peace, and to be fair the TD did point out that had I lost that match I would have been reinstated in the bracket at R3.

I suggested that as the op in my R3 match has suffered a loss and expects to be eliminated, it seems fairer for me to take his place in the adjusted bracket. This would leave me in two R3 slots instead of one QF slot.

The TD agreed to this, and as an afterthought suggested that as I now hold two slots instead of one I should pay another entry fee. He accepted my argument that two R3 slots give me the same equity as 1 QF slot, though it also gives me value through a match I should not have been played.

The current position is that my R3 op is eliminated and I hold two R3 slots instead of 1 QF slot. My equity does not appear to be affected by the bracket error, even if some nerdy math shows that 2xR3 is worth either more or less than 1xQF.

But to keep the books straight and for future reference, I am not so sure that I should have resisted the TD's original request to void my R3 match, or to propose taking the slot of an opponent I should not have played.

I do not know if my R3 op has been consulted or even if he knows about the bracket error, but he surely has the right to object to any agreement I have with the TD without his knowledge or consent.

What are your thoughts?

Q1: As it happened through an honest mistake, should my R3 match be voided? The TD surely has the authority to make that decision, and it may turn out to be the path of least resistance. Bad break but not terminal and I may get over it.

Q2: If not, and though it could be argued that a TD enjoys papal infallibility, is the TD compromising the integrity of the adjusted bracket by arbitrarily giving me the slot of a player I should not have played? This places me in an artificial advanced position which I have not reached through actual play.

Q3: Should I pay another entry fee for my second slot? This effectively reduces my equity gain as it stands, but still leaves me better off than a voided R3 match. It does not affect the principles of my agreements with the TD.

tia

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.