[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why are the Daily Quizzes so unpopular?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Tuesday, 22 May 2012, at 11:36 p.m.

On 15 May, there were two notable posts. One was titled:

OT. Supidity poll. DON'T click if you're smart.

It has so far received 441 views. The other was titled:

Daily Quiz 4/26

It has so far received 20 views.

There are a couple of obvious explanations for why the Daily Quizzes are unpopular. Bill Calton silently protested that the answers were not posted, adding that he knew he could put the positions into a bot, but he was too lazy. But for some time now, I've been posting XGR+ evals of all the Daily Quizzes, so that explanation no longer makes any sense.

A more plausible explanation is that Stick has fallen enormously behind his writing of the Recaps. Certainly, if your only motivation for trying the Daily Quizzes were to find out what Stick had to say about them, then it would be discouraging to have to wait eight or ten months for a response. By then you would probably have long forgotten the position, and besides, Stick might have decided not to include your favorite position in the Recap.

Whatever the reason, I think it's a shame that the Daily Quizzes are being ignored, because some really interesting positions have come up. Therefore, I have the following suggestion for reforming the Daily Quizzes.

1. Let's treat the Daily Quiz as a kind of OLM. We won't see Stick's commentary, but we'll see each other's commentary, and after a few days we'll see what the bot says.

2. To facilitate this, I recommend that Stick reduce the Daily Quiz to a single position each day. Stick has already reduced the Daily Quiz from the original five positions to three positions, but even that is probably too much for most people. (Reducing to one position a day would mean that Stick would not have as much material to choose from when writing his DQRs. But I think that this is a small price to pay, if the reform I'm suggesting succeeds in increasing participation.)

What do you think? If the Daily Quiz were reduced to a single position a day, would you be more likely to respond to it?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.