[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

CRB backgame series -- epilogue

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 15 June 2012, at 5:35 p.m.

Nearly two months later I've run out of positions from this game I feel are interesting. Thanks to everyone who took interest (even just reading). In particular thanks to Casper who posted a response to nearly every one, and to Daniel who did almost as much.

Neither Dave nor I played close to perfectly (Dave did better than I). In particular there are a lot of "forward vs. backward?" decisions for both sides in this kind of game. It can get to the point where every decision is about timing (backgamer trying to preserve it and defender trying to kill it). But before that it's not always so clear, since often trying to kill opp's timing gives him forward going chances. Ditto trying to save timing can throw away forward going equity.

Concerning my own play (the backgame side), I multi-whoppered the take decision AtS, but that didn't bother me so much. I did calculate the takepoint GWC correctly but overestimated my winning chances by quite a bit (4-5%). So I got it half right. :) Failing to hit the shot at the end was very disappointing. Interestingly, related to that, a couple plays earlier I failed to slot my board at the right moment. If I had done that it's more likely the blot on my 6-point (which caused me to shun the hit) would have been covered. This is an example of something which isn't emphasized enough in (self-)analysis -- how errors compound.

Anyway, hope you learned something. (Hope I did, too.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.