[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Early Game Reference Positions 1

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 21 December 2007, at 2:22 a.m.

While studying the opening phase of the game I've come across many nuggets of information that help me when I play. Some of these are obvious, some not so obvious, some most of you may already know, others, hopefully not. They're forever etched in my mind as some sort of reference position directing me how to play.

The first set of positions demonstrates the value of the 9pt, 10pt, 11pt builder when no other progress has been made. This isn't merely for the reply or third roll, it can go four, five, six moves in and this builder will maintain a special place in your heart. (usually in hitting fests).

Also, I'm omitting doubles from the below list. Double 5s & 6s play pretty much the same in all 3 positions. The difference is that after a double 5 or double 6 the importantce of the builder placement remains the same, where the 9pt is best, then the 10pt builder, lastly the 11pt builder.

The smaller to mid sized doubles are good in all positions but still play slightly better overall according to builder placement.

We also assume everyone knows, in general, the order of importance of points. Excluding other factors the rank of importance is: 5pt, 4pt, barpt, 3pt, 9pt, 10pt, 11pt. This also means in the below examples while the list of rolls that make the 10pt or 11pt may be long, they aren't worth anywhere near as much as the other points. The closer the point is to your homeboard the more pressure it applies. It can also be the start of a more compact prime. Eg. making your 9pt can easily turn into a 4 prime if you make your barpoint, but if you've made your 11pt it isn't likely you'll be making a prime from your 11pt to 6pt.

I wrote this on the fly ... and I'm bored of it now. I'm sure more could be added and examples given but until someone starts paying me for it this is all you suckers get lol.

Pos1, builder on the 9pt - The strongest placement of this builder.

• 6 rolls make the 5pt [31 41 43]
  • 6 rolls make the 4pt [52 52 54]
  • 6 rolls make the bar [21 61 62]
  • 6 rolls make the 3pt [53 63 65]
  • 6 rolls are half lame [51 32 64]

Pos2, builder on the 10pt - The second strongest placement of this builder.

• 6 rolls make the 5pt [31 51 53]
  • 6 rolls make the 4pt [42 62 64]
  • 4 rolls make the bar [61 63]
  • 2 rolls make the 9pt [41]
  • 6 rolls make the 10pt[21 32 43]
  • 6 rolls are half lame [52 54 65]

Pos3, builder on the 11pt - The third strongest placement of this builder.

• 4 rolls make the 5pt [31 63]
  • 2 rolls make the 4pt [42]
  • 6 rolls make the bar [41 61 64]
  • 2 rolls make the 3pt [53]
  • 8 rolls make the 11pt[21 32 52 62]
  • 8 rolls are half lame [51 43 54 65]

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.