[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Random Poker Musings

Posted By: Stick
Date: Friday, 21 December 2007, at 3:09 a.m.

Hand #1 - 55

Nothing real special about this hand. The moral of the story is know when to bitch. First, the guy raises from the button w/4Ks in a short handed game. Not a bad play. I 3 bet because I know he's raising on these kind of shit hands and even though it puts me OOP I want to isolate. Unfortunately for me, the BB calls.

The flop comes not so pretty for my measely 55. There are some people who will go ahead and bet out here since they 3 bet preflop, I think it's a waste. If was me & the button HU I would definitely bet out, but the BB calling PF killed me. This flop certainly touched on one of their hands. I check, hoping to get a free card or possibly call down a bluff if it feels like such. Original raiser bets, and again, he could be betting with such a range of hands here I call to see what happens. The BB folds, this ups my chances a lot in the hand.

The turn is my miracle card. I would have taken the 5h though the 5d was certainly my best card. I'm now sure I have him nutted up, and get in my checkraise. He calls - and I don't really care what he's on.

The river is a harmless 8d. I bet out hoping to get called down by anything, I get raised!? Now I spend as much time as I ever spend trying to figure out a poker hand ... what could he be on? At these stakes and the way the hand was played out there's no way he's bluffing, simply not possible. I can also rule out KK & TT. he'd have possibly capped preflop, but certainly continued raising on the turn if he had either of those. 88? Not likely .. the most likely scenario is K8 or 8T so I reraise. He calls down and we see he had K4.

Now he rants and raves for what seems like an eternity. Things like "MF luckbox" to "Jokerstars". To recap he raises with a mediocre hand preflop and hits a miracle flop. One small bet goes in when he has the best of things. I hit a miracle on the turn and in a hand played in such a way he has to figure me on a monster, whether it was flopped trips or I stumbled into something. He then proceeds to waste two more big bets on the river which if he would have simply called me down, he'd have money to buy more boxes of Kleenex.

Hand #2 - O8

PF I limp in with a hand that is mediocre at best. I could have just as easily folded here. What happens though is a sort of domino effect in O8, if one person up front limps it's more likely that the rest of the people will limp because everyone knows nobody is folding given the pot odds at that point. They know whatever their hand is isn't going to be a favorite against at least 3 random hands.

Flop is very good for me, but also could get me in a lot of trouble. I still bet out though hoping to thin the field, representing either strong end of the flop. I get raised, ugh - still can't toss the hand yet. Nobody has made anything, I have a low/possible nut low draw, a flush draw though it's probably worthless unless I push others out, and top pair, which can always back into something.

The turn brings a low, which I'm not excited about because I don't figure my low is any good, but it does give me prospects for making the nut straight. I check again, figuring I'll have to call a bet, and if it's bet & raised I'll fold np. Oh happy day, everyone checks!? This means nobody has that coveted A2 and my low, while still not looking like gold, is certainly looking better.

The river brings diamonds. Now I may have one end of something, then again, I may have a big loser. I check, still happy to check it down. Someone bets, the guy that raised me on the flop bets. Folded to me with one guy left to act. Now what? Quick...figure out exactly what he has. I did and that's why I raised. The raise here, though it should be automatic, isn't for most. First his hand ... he has to have the nut diamonds. The raise on the flop was to take a free card if it wasn't a diamond, since a low came and we're giving him credit for the ace of diamonds, we know he doesn't have a 2 or a 4, he'd still have bet the turn if he had nut low or 2nd nut low. Now that we've established he has nut diamonds and can't beat my low there's only one guy left, who we know doesn't have the nut low, that can feasibly beat my low. If he had the nut low he'd have certainly bet out since everyone checked the turn (if not bet the turn) My only move, raise!. Now the 'middleman' simply can't call with his second best low (or 3rd best, like me, which would also quarter me). He gives one of us credit for the nut diamonds (and possibly a deuce or four to go with it) and the other credit for nut low. He folds, the original bettor 3 bets me, rightfully so, he can't get worse than 1/2, and now I can simply call and happily take down the 1/2 the pot I worked so hard for.

2-7 Triple Draw

A low stakes game but if you're playing 2-7 sometimes it's all you can get. The HH is a bit rougher to follow since it's 2-7, but if you know how to play you'll manage. Notice all 2-7 games are 6 handed or less.

I get a good starting hand. I raise, and depending on how many ppl call will dictate if I ditch or keep the 9. (draw 1 or 2) I get two callers and decide to ditch it. It should be noted the CLUU only took 1 card. When you don't 3 bet pre draw and take only 1 card it usually means you're drawing to a 9 or a terrible 8.

I hit a 4, considered a good draw for me. Now I have two draws to hit one of my nutters. They both check, since I put CLUU on a weak draw even though he drew 1, I figure I'm still ahead in the hand, so I bet it.

Good news, everyone drew, and KRogers is still drawing two. I hit a brick but at least one of my opponent's didn't hit the deuce. I decide to bet again when checked to, because CLUU would have bet if he hit, and I don't want to give KRogers a free draw. He mucks it, now we're heads up and I'm sure I'm ahead.

Sick 3rd draw...but what's this, CLUU bets out? It is possible he hit a ten or under and made his puke hand and is betting for value, to make me call him down if I missed, but if not, he's on a complete bluff, meaning he made a pair or a straight too and is hoping I missed, trying to steal my pot. I decide to go for the bluff and raise. He has to know I was drawing strong the entire time and may even fold his ten if he did make it. What does he do, he three bets!!??. Can't be ... I told you initially he was drawing to a weak hand, there's no way he should be three betting here. He should either call me if he made his weak 8, 9, or T, or fold if he was bluffing. Now he has to be on a bluff, he who bluffs last wins - I cap it, take it down with my sixes ;)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.