[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Reformatted version of last post (Stick can fix) if he so chooses

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Sunday, 23 June 2013, at 12:05 p.m.

In Response To: Opening Ceremony (Michael Petch)

.Net is quite a mess with versioning. But here are some of the basics.

.Net framework provides programmers access to controls like spreadsheets and gris(as an example: probably grids and spreadsheets within Opening Ceremonies). Office (which includes Excel spreadsheet requires .Net).

Why 2.0 and 4.0? I can't tell for certain since I didn't program the software but often when a developer acquires a library to help them developer software faster, those 3rd party libraries may have requirements using older .Net framework. Not all versions of .Net run on all versions of Windows. However .Net 2.0 runs on most OS's even without service packs installed. Net 4.5 no longer supports Windows XP (And future versions won't be compatible with XP).

When it comes to installing different versions of .Net that is a bit messy but in general this is true:

Installing .Net 3.x (3.5 and 3.0) ALSO installs .Net 2.0

Installing .Net 4.x (4.0 and 4.5) Does not install .Net 2.0

You can install a single version of each major version of .Net at the same time. (Major number is the number before the decimal point so that would be 2,3,4)

As an example you can in theory install all these at the same time: 2.0, 3.0, 4.5

2.0, 3.5, 4.0

2.0, 3.5, 4.5

But not:

2.0, 3.5, 3.0, 4.5

2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 4.5

The reason is that in the first case you can't have 2 versions of 3.x, and in the second case you can't have two versions of 4.x).

I have oversimplified things, but in general the rules hold true.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.