[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New member with basic question about notation.

Posted By: Stuart Gardner
Date: Saturday, 17 August 2013, at 4:31 a.m.

Hello! This is my first post. My name is Stuart Gatdner and I'm happy to be here. My question is a very basic one. I'm learning backgammon notation and I actually find it relatively easy to understand, but I find it very difficult to keep the numbers of the points in my head, particularly since every point on the board has a different number for each player. It's easy enough to automatically know that my 24 is my opponent's 1, but when I'm recording most plays I have to count the points with my finger. I can't yet glance at the board and immediately recognize the points by their numbers. For example, to record a move involving the point which is my 17 and my opponent's 8, I have to count, and will until I know all of the point numbers by sight, which will come with time from repeated playing. Are boards for learners made with the point numbers printed or otherwise indicated? Or -- and please do tell me (it will help) -- am I overlooking something, such as a simple way of memorizing the point numbers, or am I even being stupid? I have two backgammon sets, a nice one and another that's a cheap little nothing, and I'm thinking of marking the point numbers down on the cheap board, as a way of helping me memorize them. Thanks, everyone!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.