[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

501 Essential Backgammon Problems #101 -- Rollout + Variant

Posted By: David Presser
Date: Thursday, 19 September 2013, at 6:08 p.m.

In Response To: 501 Essential Backgammon Problems #101 -- Rollout + Variant (Igor)

Under the slotting play white has to double because of the strong board and direct shot such that almost any hit is a market loser. The non slotting play doesn't lead to many market losers.

So why should white slot? In the specific case the slotting play increases his win % by so much that even when the stakes are doubled and he gets the sole option of redoubling (which has a value) his equity is best with the play that leads to the cube.

I look at the game of bg as a dynamic optimization riddle (riddle because of the fascinating cube). At this junction, you make the best play knowing it leads to a cube, but it still max your equity relative to the inferior play without the cube (yet knowing it is likely to be shifted soon).

More generally, as it is more common, we are familiar with making an inferior play when we are favorites because of higher cube efficiency. The position at hand is the exact opposite. Personally, I know such logic ("provoking the cube") exists, but I am no looking for it as it is quite rare.

Those are my 2 cents. I am sure that the stronger and math oriented players can either clarify better or add their perspective.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.