[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Largest BG Tourney Ever?

Posted By: Jake Jacobs
Date: Sunday, 22 September 2013, at 4:28 a.m.

In Response To: Largest BG Tourney Ever? (Phil Simborg)

Phil, in 1982 Max asked Danny Kleinman to audit the Amateur, and Danny's conclusion was that it was effectively impossible to do so! Drawsheets were done in the backroom, and appeared and disappeared with bewildering speed.

The Amateur was run like a giant blitz. The entry was $400, but a player could reenter up to two more times for $100 each time. Living in Vegas with maximum opportunity and minimal luck I once entered and reentered six times, paying $1000 in total. It was also possible to play in more than one event. At least one player (who entered legend by holding up all three events with slow play) entered the Beginner, the Plimpton, and the World Professional events.

I would guess that there were at least 500 players in attendance most years, but probably fewer than 1000. The majority would have been entered in the Plimpton. That is based on eyeballing it, as much as anything. I think Howard had an event in Vegas that drew nearly 300 players, and the Nordic with its four divisions was drawing around 500 I think when I played there in 1997 and 1998. The Plimpton was bigger than those, but how much bigger I couldn't say.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.