[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What settings are used for the analysed matches in this forum?

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Sunday, 15 December 2013, at 11:44 p.m.

In Response To: What settings are used for the analysed matches in this forum? (Bruce Farquhar)

Bruce, I completely agree with you, that it should not be a requirement that the transcriber do the deep analysis. That's not the case here in the DBgF either.

People can transcribe and then analyze at whatever setting they prefer - if they feel the match is either good enough for a norm, or for some other reason should be filed, they submit it to the federation or tournament director. Of course this is mandatory for all matches in tournaments where PR is part of the results!

DBgF (or TD) then clears the analysis completely from the file, and re-analyze it from scratch, at the correct settings. I've analyzed around 300 matches myself, and you are correct, that on an "average" PC (is such exist) it takes around 2-7 hours for a long match (the matches we analyze is 13-25 points, with the vast majority being 17 pointers). My average is typically 3-4 hours.

I forgot to mention something about the settings: matches are always analyzed at the deep setting for BOTH players - this actually makes a difference in some cases!

Also, someone mentioned that the bigger bear-off db doesn't really make a big difference. While this is true most of the time, it must be said that sometimes there's a difference. Both in error (size), but also in performance (when you're going XGR++ it truncates a bit earlier using the big BDB). In fact I analyzed a match last week, where the PR changed 0,02 (17 pointer) when going from a medium bearoff BDB to the 15 over 11 BDB. The 0,02 here made a difference (2,99 vs. 3,01 with 3,00 being the requirement for bot-norm approval).

I see no reason for not just building the largest BDB possible. Except if disk space is a sparse resource on your pc and you don't want to waste it on XG. But hey, what's a quarter of a gig nowadays anyway?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.