[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A cube action + 5-4 to play

Posted By: greedygammon
Date: Saturday, 11 January 2014, at 10:25 p.m.

Match to 11, White leads 9-8
Blue doubles to 2. White to take or pass?
White177

Blue148
GNUBg Id: 4LnhADiYc/ADAg:UQlgAZAAQAAA
XGID=-c--B-C-C---cF--bc-dA-----:0:1:1:D:8:9:0:11:16

So while casually browsing a match kindly sent to me by Bill who transcribed it (2 world class players), I noticed this cube action. It occured to me that it could be an important decision so I was curious how long it took White to take. When I reviewed the video I saw that White [insta] took this double. According to gnubg it was flagged as a "doubtful" take. So, is this an easy take? No need to think much about it over the board? So I was wondering if maybe White could have benefit from the lecture as shown in this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SH0GfgDjZY where Mochy admonishes instant takes or drops. His advise is "you should pause at least 12 seconds to decide a cube action" he goes even further to state "taking a cube in 1 second is WORST behavior" Well this "worst behavior" came back to bite White as a few steps down the road ended up here.

Match to 11, White leads 9-8
Blue to play 54
White74

Blue77
GNUBg Id: v9sAADC22w0EAA:QQl2AZAAQAAA
XGID=-bBBCBCB-----A-------bbcf-:1:-1:1:54:8:9:0:11:16

NOw this is another interesting position. Would you consider breaking anchor for a chance to put 2 on the bar if one back man is forced out with a 6. At the risk of looking like an idiot if he rolls 66. How about if the score was 9-7 instead of 9-8, where a doubled gammon would be sweet indeed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.