[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGO vs. BGO Tie Vote Compromise

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Wednesday, 19 February 2014, at 4:17 p.m.

I proposed a run-off scheme for settling ties, and Igor responded thusly:

The potential problem with this is the following: we are not supposed to peek at other votes until we post ours. But once we post our choice, we naturally would like to keep an eye on what other members of the team choose. Having a run-off means picking a move based on prior knowledge of what distinguished members of the team chose for their vote.

This is a fair criticism.

I propose a compromise. There seems to be a desire to have the captain choose. I'm pretty much at the point where I flatly refuse to let the captain's original vote to decide the issue. Some of you think I'm nuts for having this position. Meanwhile, I can't understand why we want a nondemocratic solution -- to have one player have inherently more voting power.

So, my compromise proposal: In the event of a tie, there will be a 24 hour runoff, and it's not a vote -- it's truly a consultation. Everybody who wants to augment their original vote/discussion can do so. At the end, the captain will choose -- and it's not necessarily his original vote. Furthermore, we could even allow the captain to choose something other than the plays that were originally tied -- allowing for the possibility of fixing the problem we discussed where thematically similar plays split a vote and lose to a single play of a different theme.

This has the benefit of creating the occasional longer discussion over plays that the team is really undecided upon. Remember that ties happen infrequently, so this is not going to hold up the match very often, and when it does, it's only for a day... and I think it would generate some interesting discussion.

If this sounds agreeable, then we're just down to getting captains, picking the teams, and getting the ball rolling. I think we'll have this off the ground by the weekend.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.