[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGO vs. BGO Tie Vote Compromise

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 19 February 2014, at 8:38 p.m.

In Response To: BGO vs. BGO Tie Vote Compromise (Igor)

Why We Need Captains Who Have Tournament Experience

I don't think Jason's proposal requires a strong captain. So long as he will listen and learn, a middle-of-the-pack captain would make few mistakes under Jason's scheme.

A much better reason for preferring strong captains is the one I laid out earlier: “Select captains who have a fair amount of tournament experience. That way they will have personal knowlege of many of the good players on your list.” Even for this purpose, experience is more important than strength.

If I were selected as a captain, the first few choices for team members would be easy for me.

After that, my plan would be to consult with the strong players I had picked first in order to learn more about the names still available. That process would be conveniently short-circuited by selecting someone with first-hand knowledge to begin with.

Incidently, I still think there is merit in letting captains choose, say, the first five team members, and then assigning the remaining players randomly. One of the reasons I like this idea is because a captain who is familiar with the open players at the top of the list will have little knowledge of the names lower down. His picks would be essentially random anyway.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.