[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why not have finals officiated?

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Sunday, 9 March 2014, at 12:40 p.m.

Since we are on the subject of the rules, and keeping the game fair and honest, for important matches such as the finals and semifinals of major events, why not have a designated official to help prevent irregularities and mistakes and rule violations? We have all seen videos of major matches where checkers were moved or put back incorrectly or the dice misread.

Why not have a designated official to help the players make sure everything is done properly and immediately settle any questions or disputes that arise. When I was recording matches in the Dual-Duel matches in San Antonio, part of my responsibility was to alert the players if there was an illegal move (Legal Moves was the rule at this event). In another event where I monitored a match between two top players, I was also designated to keep the score. For streamed matches, this official could also call out the score of the game, make sure that breaks are kept to the designated time, assure legal moves (if that is the rule), make sure that clocks are used properly, etc.

No one wants to see the finals of an event affected by "accidents," including the players.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.