[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A plea to Tournament Directors

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Wednesday, 3 September 2014, at 6:07 p.m.

After playing in Carolina and other tournaments with Swiss formats and clocks, and seeing how wonderful it is to know exactly when every one of your matches starts, and seeing how you never are forced to play very early in the morning or in the middle of the night; and how you are in the hunt to win even after a couple of freak losses; and all the other advantages and fun of playing with a clock; why in the world would anyone want to play any other way?

Yes, I know, variety is fun. I like different formats and variations as much as the next person…even more. But some things are critical for tournament enjoyment. I am sure we can still find a way for different formats that prevent delays caused by not using clocks and by not having good schedule planning.

Tournaments have to been fun and fair for the players if you want to have continued growth and participation. Sticking with “old ways” of doing things for the sake of tradition, when some of those old ways are clearly less fair and enjoyable, is just plain silly.

I urge ALL TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS to please strongly consider clocks and some form of scheduled Swiss Movement for their future events. I believe most experienced players agree with this and I welcome your support and comments, and for those who disagree, I am open to hearing why.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.