[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGBlitz 2.8.0 is online

Posted By: Frank Berger
Date: Monday, 3 November 2014, at 5:58 p.m.

In Response To: BGBlitz 2.8.0 is online (Mochy)

Hi Mochy,

the best answer I know (although one can say that it has some quirks) is the benchmark by Michael Depreli: http://www.bkgm.com/articles/Keith/DepreliBotComparison. The values for BGBlitz 2.8 are 43.5 with 3-ply and 37.5 with 4-ply. This passes the wooden spoon to others on 3 and 4 ply ;) (I know that Gnu got a new AI since those numbers but I don't know by how much it improved in the Depreli benchmark. Michael do you know more?)

Anyway XG is still the undisputed best AI (but I'm not yet out of ideas for the AI;))

Another way to measure is the PR and in fact this was a part of evaluating which of the 17 nets I have selected as candidates is iTachiAI 4. IIRC the PR for the 3-ply (average on 20 25-point matches against itself, i.e. 40 matches) was between 1.1 and 1.2. Checker play was a bit under 1 and cube the the other direction. Just for the curios: in the old Depreli numbers the premature double was *the* main source of error. Now it doubles a bit too late ;))

The 3rd thing to mention: especially at BGO it seems to me that the perception is: If bot A is better than bot B, bot A makes always the better decision. But this is simply not the truth. Would you believe that XG 2 makes a 0 .5 error even on XGR++ and BGBlitz 2.8 (and 2.6 but not 2.7) finds the right move on 1-4 ply? If anyone regards that as bragging, please read Bob Wachtels recent book, especially page 88-89. The forthcoming XG 3 will move correctly according to the book.

And please don't get me wrong: I appreciate XG as simply terrific, Xavier is a pleasant person to deal with and XG has simply raised the bar. BG owes him a lot, but XG it is not (yet) infallible.

So I hope that answers your question. One question by me: is the new real time tutor ( http://www.bgblitz.com/screencast/TutorRating_EN.mp4 ) interesting for an below 4 player too? My gut feeling is that for a PR 7 player and above it's great, but I have no idea whether it's interesting for a world class player.

ciao Frank

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.