[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Barry Bigplay McAdam RIP

Posted By: Chris Bray
Date: Tuesday, 9 June 2015, at 9:38 a.m.

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Barry McAdam. Barry was a backgammon and golf friend for over 35 years and was a very well-known figure on the UK and European backgammon circuits. For many years we travelled to backgammon tournaments together and nearly always found time for a round or two of golf as well.

Barry was a member of London's Double Fives club from its inception and continued playing, latterly in the Battersea chouette, until a couple of months ago. His game (and mine) was improved immeasurably in the 1980s through a series of lessons from Paul Magriel whilst he was resident in London.

The pinnacle of his career was probably winning the 1989 European Open in Deauville - the denouement of which will feature in my newspaper column in a couple of weeks' time.

Barry was a true gentleman over the board. Whether winning or losing large sums of money he would remain phlegmatic and the largest reaction you were likely to get from him was a raised eyebrow.

In Danny Kleinman's books Barry Bigplay is one of his cast of fictitious characters. As Barry epitomised BB in real life he quickly took on the name in our chouettes and that is why BB figures in my own writings.

In the real world BB is no more but he will continue to play on in my chouette until I stop writing. I will miss him. RIP old friend.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.