[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Revised Giants List (Long)

Posted By: Rick Janowski
Date: Sunday, 13 March 2016, at 2:14 p.m.

In Response To: Revised Giants List (Long) (Jake Jacobs)

In my opinion, overall this is an excellent report on the current and likely future status of the Giants List, and gives me increased confidence in its ongoing viability. Very well reasoned and argued. Bravo!

However, I have some minor comments relating to your paragraph:

"This might be more than a hypothetical. You all like rumors, so here’s one for you. There is a certain player who was certainly a Giant when he played, top ten and some thought number one. It has been well over two years since he last played in a tournament. He has no current PR rating. A reliable source tells me he won over fifteen million dollars last year. I don’t expect him to show up on the list, but the mullahs would prefer that even if you knew whom I was talking about, you be prevented from voting for him."

If the player does not have a recorded PR, that should never be a reason for barring them from the voting process.

The criteria for whom can be voted for on the Giants List is flexible. Personally I would prefer the criteria for eligible candidates to be reasonably consistent with the criteria for eligible voters. A valid candidate who is barred from voting (because they are no longer active) seems incongruous.

By "mullahs" do you mean know-it-alls and pontificators? Whilst I appreciate your use of the word in your fifth paragraph is correctly used in its religious-political context, when used elsewhere in a general sense, it could be potentially be construed as racist or anti-Islamic, although I am absolutely sure this was not your intention. I think "pontificator" is a better word, which in current use rarely has religious (papal) associations. Just a suggestion.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.