[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Vigilance is always required no matter the honesty of the opponent

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Wednesday, 30 March 2016, at 8:46 p.m.

In the recent discussions regarding legal moves and illegal moves I've observed some thinking that it is an undue burden for an opponent to have to expend mental energy to constantly be vigilant against an unscrupulous or careless opponent. I'm not sure how valid this argument is, as one always has to be vigilant, no matter whom you are playing. I offer this clip from round 1 of the Championship Main at the recent Nordic Open as evidence- an unimpeachable player considering several positions for playing doublets- I watched this live and my head was spinning by the time his move was finished (about 2 minutes, 15 seconds after his roll):

https://youtu.be/ju9CfcoF91k?t=1333

A legal move was made, and all positions considered were legal, but I still had a hard time following it. Granted, I'm rather dull, but I'm just saying that you always have to pay attention, always.

I'm sure that

1) offsetting the moved checkers somewhat from the edge of an empty destination point or the edge of the checkers already occupying a destination point, and

2) returning to the original position rather than an intermediate position when considering alternatives

would have made things easier to follow. Should either of these two ideas be codified?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.