[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Botched Cube Scenario

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Wednesday, 24 August 2016, at 3:39 p.m.

I have a practical / rules question on a scenario that came up the other day.

In a heads-up money game, Player A doubles in an early blitz position but Player B anchors okay and the game proceeds for awhile. Eventually, things are looking good for Player B and he doubles. And I don’t mean Re-doubles. It’s a genuine oversight and, perhaps because of distraction with a waiter bringing drinks, whatever, Player B accepts the cube on 2, while his original cube remains on the other side of the board, also on 2. (We have multiple cubes handy for a chouette). These are honest mistakes.

Player B then rolls a poor number, and right away Player A realizes that the cube should be on 4 since it was a re-cube and asserts that the cube should be turned over to 4, which of course he’s all too happy to do, since A rolled a poor follow-up and B is now the favorite in the position. But then, perhaps A would not have doubled at all had he realized he already owned the cube. To make things interesting, it turns out that XG confirms that the position was a proper initial cube, but not a re-cube!

Of course, it could have happened the other way — Player A could have rolled a great number and then noticed that the cube “should be on 4."

I am mostly curious how other people’s “local rules” would handle this sort of scenario, where an honest mistake is made on cube-levels and not corrected before the ensuing roll. Since the Cube was accepted on 2, should it stay on 2? Or should it be turned to the higher level it “ought” to have been on? A similar situation arises when an ‘automatic double’ is agreed to but forgotten.

If anyone has a written rule addressing this sort of scenario, I'd be happy to see it. I have an idea what I'd write, but for now I'm all ears!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.