[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Aussie Millions - Hansen's book

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 14 May 2008, at 1:25 a.m.

Download all the episodes of the Aussie Millions

Username: checkmugged
password: bgonline.org

Buy it at amazon.com

As noted by Chuck, a new book about Gus' romp through the 2007 Aussie Millions. Virtually every hand he entered is listed and analyzed.

After downloading all the episodes and watching half of them I decided to take Chuck up on his book and went out and got it. The best part about this book is the price tag, a mere $16 from Barnes & Noble. That's nothing for a poker book, that's almost nothing for any kind of book.

The one thing this signals to me though is lack of color. I get dulled out looking at black & white after b&w after b&w poker hand pages. I'd rather spring another $10 or w/e it costs and be kept awake. A tradeoff I'm willing to make, but maybe not the majority of the poker audience, so I can't bitch I guess.

My second complaint is the overusage of exclamation points! Holy lord! Gus isn't that excited in interviews but all of a sudden in this book he has a hankering for the excited!!! Another facet that most probably don't care about but I found annoying.

Last gripe, who edits books nowadays? It makes me want to cut the author's fingernails & toenails really short when I read a poker book or a backgammon book that has been poorly revised. This is a book!! Not an article online, not some pamphlet you distribute to your friends, if you're going to publish it don't use gimp fuck rollout settings, don't half ass it, get it done.

An excerpt: "It is like playing baseball with only four outfielders."

We all know what he meant, but I also know what was printed. Why not correct it? Someone must have read it who was a native English speaker (not certain the error is due to English being Gus' 2nd or 3rd language, his English is excellent, but it's possible) and who knows baseball like any kid who grew up in the US and knows he meant "players" or even "fielders" would have been more accurate.

I passed another trivial error like the one above but I lost my bookmark and I'm not about to fish back through to try to find it.

Aside from the above which is rather unimportant, the book is decent and I'd recommend it to someone trying to hone their poker skills. I think I agreed with about everything that was written which means Gus must be a genius.

I watched all 8 episodes of the AM and let me tell you... Jimmy Fricke is a sorry excuse for a poker player. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I can't even begin to explain his plays, his constant suckouts, his interviews and commentary. I doubt I've ever seen someone play so poorly, get rewarded so much, and dig his own grave in the interviews. To be fair, I did see only what they showed on tv, but that would be the entire HU v. Gus and a good few handfuls of hands in the rest of the tourney where he got his money in from bad to worse and came out smelling like a rare French perfume. (his is only 19, so he has that as an excuse also)

I wish Fricke's interview pre-FT was on YT but it isn't, so I'll give you the text, and you can judge for yourself.

Gus Hansen, he probably intimidates me a lot less than Patrik Antonius, if he had made the final table I'd probably would have played a little intimidated against him....eventually I'm going to have to do some things with Gus but all I need to do is try to get into his head and figure out what he's thinking. I mean, I just need to play my game & stay smart & all that.

I know it's incorrect to say like I know Gus Hansen's game from tv but I mean I know his general style of play, I know what I should do against people who play like that.

Rofl...that's all I have to say for now. There are so many things wrong in so few lines of text above I can't even come to terms with what I should make fun of.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.