[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The World Championship Final from my Perspective -- Congratulations to Didier and to Petko

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 7 August 2017, at 10:24 a.m.

First, congratulations to World Champion Didier Assaraf. He played well in many matches under enormous pressure. He is a very nice guy. He is very uncomfortable with people he does not know and does not at all like people crowding around him watching his matches. So, many of his earlier round matches, such as the undefeated final with Petko, were emotional ordeals for him. He does not like to be idle; so, he is fine while on turn even if contemplating various moves, etc., however, he is not at ease if having to sit idly while an opponent ponders, counts pips, etc. Beyond the emotion, nervousness, and pressure any of us would likely face in such situations, in my opinion, Didier dealt with even more burdens. I commend him for performing well and prevailing in what were clearly difficult circumstances for him.

I think the fact the World Championship final was played in a private room was a huge relief to him and helped him considerably. I was one of two other people in the room. He was clearly more relaxed without the crowd, though he still had the nervous tendencies. In the earlier rounds he made innumerable illegal plays that would have to be corrected, I expected the same in the final. But in the passive environment of the final he made very few, if any.

I have not yet seen the analysis of the first Didier/Petko match but watched it next to the playing table and with the real-time video monitor. I suspect he did not play nearly as well in this match as in the ultimate final. He made numerous illegal plays and a couple of huge oversight blunders -- I think because of his discomfort with the environment. Most felt he rolled like a god -- I did also, however I will freely admit my preference for my friend Petko may well influence my perception. I would not be at all surprised if his luck rating was quite high.

The final match ended with Didier winning 19-9 after Petko led at one point, I believe, 4-8. The XG analysis shows Petko playing 4.16 (a very good performance even if slightly above his norm) and Didier playing 5.78 (quite respectable). Considering the circumstances and pressures, it was perhaps one of the best played World Champion finals in some time. But Didier had a luck factor of +7.48. Those familiar with XG and with much backgammon experience realize this is all but impossible to overcome unless there are huge differences in skill levels -- and the skill levels were not nearly that disparate.

So, we saw a demonstration of why backgammon is so alluring and such a great game. There is much skill in the game; however, it remains, fundamentally, a dice game. Given good dice and the skill to take advantage of the rolls it is very difficult to defeat a very competent championship level player. Without good dice a very competent championship level player can only give his best and hope things change. This is backgammon.

Congratulations to World Champion Didier Assaraf and to finalist Petko Kostadinov. Didier earned and deserved his title through a week of fine play. I commend him.

Both players were the epitome of good sportsmen and controlled emotions. I never saw any significant demonstrable emotion or reaction from either, through any number of matches.

One observation that may not have been totally obvious to those viewing the stream. This was not a 'legal moves' tournament. Near the end of the undefeated final, Didier made a particularly damaging misplay that could have served Petko well. Petko, without hesitation, corrected the error at great personal expense. The French fans of Didier attending the match broke out in applause. That is what backgammon should be. That is who Petko is.

Petko told me after the match that he had observed and knew that he could perhaps have taken advantage of Didier's conditions had he 'slow played' him -- to purposely try to make him more nervous and uncomfortable. But Petko said he did not want to take advantage of such and only tried to play his regular game at his regular pace. He is a great friend of mine for whom I have the utmost respect. My respect for him only increased this week.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.