[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why I voted to Accept the proposed USBGF rules

Posted By: TarHeelFan
Date: Monday, 14 August 2017, at 10:43 p.m.

I voted to Accept the new USBGF rules, despite the fact that there are several rules I don’t like very much. Of course, there are several rules in the 2009 US Tournament Rules and Procedures that I don’t like very much, too. Actually, there are several rules I don’t like much in the WBC, DBgF, EUBgF, and Bower/Simborg/Horton rules.

The point is that not everyone is going to be happy with all the rules. In fact, most folks will be unhappy with at least one or two rules. But we need to have rules, and a consistent set is best. Could I write a better rule set? Of course! I could easily write a set of rules that I would like better. Would you like it better? No idea. Some people would, some would not.

Currently, I hear a lot of folks making decisions about which tournaments they go to base on the rules being used. How nice would it be to take that out of your decision matrix? Wouldn’t you rather make your decision based on location, date, format, and staff, and not have to worry about researching who is using what rules?

This is a very reasonable set of rules. It’s clear, concise, and covers the vast majority of situations that normally arise in tournament play. It is based on the premise that most players are honest. I agree with that approach, and believe that it’s true. I do think it’s workable to make this assumption.

USBGF will also be publishing a ruling guide that will go into more detail – including the intent of each rule and the recommended rulings for numerous scenarios. The combination of the short, easy to read rules, and the longer, detailed guide should lead to more consistency in rules and rulings than we have ever seen in tournament play in the US.

I am very excited and encouraged by both the process and the end product. I hope every USBGF member will vote on this important issue. Obviously, I hope you will vote to Accept, but please vote, regardless. If you vote to Reject, please take a moment to tell the USBGF why. That information will be critical in taking the next step toward getting to a common rule set that everyone can live with.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and please go vote!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.