[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Whither Luck Ratings?

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Sunday, 1 October 2017, at 1:46 p.m.

I have a genuine question - - I don't have any feel for the meaning of 'Luck Ratings'. If we know the PR for each player and the match result, does a Luck Rating tell us anything further? For instance, could you have a same-length match resulting in the exact same score result and same PRs for both players, but a different Luck Rating? If at the higher-PR player wins, is the Luck rating just the amount of luck he needed to overcome the PR deficit to win the match? Can a player who earns the higher PRand enjoys more luck nevertheless lose the match (I'd imagine not?)

If someone tells you a match result and the PR's of both players, do you feel curious about what the Luck rating was? Does it make meaningful sense to "I played a 6.55 against Victor's 1.9 and lost 3-9 -- but he was +2.6 luckier too" -- or maybe, "I played a 6.55 against Victor's 1.9 and won 9-2, but my Luck Rating was only +4, I'm really improving!"

Nobody can help getting lucky, or unlucky. PR tells us something meaningful about how the players performed. Does LR tell us anything interesting that isn't already implied by the other results? When a Higher PR beats a lower PR in a match, the winner got lucky and everyone knows it -- it seems a little gratuitous to remind everybody of it by including the Luck Rating in the results -- doesn't it take a little of the gloss off the victory? (Again, I'm asking a genuine question, and ready to learn what's interesting about the Luck figure!).

Don't we try to coach rising players not to dwell on the vicissitudes of luck? Aren't we all at our most unpleasant selves when we are feeling jealous of other's good fortune, or bitter about our own bad beats? I know I am.

So, how is the Luck rating interesting?

Albert

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.