[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

US Supreme Court ruling on gambling: USBGF to lobby for inclusion?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 18 May 2018, at 11:23 p.m.

In Response To: US Supreme Court ruling on gambling: USBGF to lobby for inclusion? (leobueno)

One problem is that many current tournament directors and organizers want to keep their tournaments below the radar for both legal and tax purposes. They have resisted, in the past, efforts to legitimize backgammon tournaments and clubs.

In the long run, I believe this is wrong-thinking. We are a legitimate game and contest and we should comply with laws and be recognized. Yes, in some states that might mean that the gambling aspects cannot be included and tournaments might be just about winning points or increasing ratings. That restriction certainly hasn't hurt Bridge and Chess which both have far more tournaments and players than Backgammon.

As for Bob's point about encouraging children to play a gambling game, I don't agree. Backgammon is a fine game without gambling and particularly good for kids.

One of the most success elementary school backgammon programs is in River Forest IL where over 20 kids have played once a week for many years. It is a private, Catholic school and there is never any mention or thought of Backgammon being a gambling game. In fact, when I visit that school to lecture I don't talk about "money" games but instead, "unlimited" games. That is why Xavier (with advice and help from me and others) came up with that term.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.