[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Estimating racing chances

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Wednesday, 29 August 2018, at 7:55 p.m.

I'm used to counting races and employing basic percentages and the Keith count to get a read on whether a position is a double/take/drop, but I just realized I have hardly a clue how to make a rough estimate of simple race-winning chances. The reason I ask is that I've been working on these familiar 'final contact' cube situations where you miss a blot 6 pips away but still have around a 15% chance to hit the blot on your next turn because he can fail to get past you (see example here). So, I need to be able to look at the race and see whether I can eke out say 10% wins to make it to 25%. (Regarding any cube leverage I enjoy as an extra cushion, to keep it simple).

Can anyone out there suggest a method for roughly estimating racing chances as a simple %? If by the simple percentage method 12% is a pass, that must put it around 21%, yes? So is there a % that would roughly equate to 10% wins?

White is Player 1

score: 0
pip: 74
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 95
score: 0

Blue is Player 2
XGID=--BBBCC-A---a-----Bdccc-a-:1:-1:-1:00:0:0:3:0:10
White on roll, cube action?

Analyzed in XG Roller++ No redouble Redouble/Take
Player Winning Chances: 79.77% (G:0.16% B:0.00%) 79.70% (G:0.27% B:0.00%)
Opponent Winning Chances: 20.23% (G:0.45% B:0.01%) 20.30% (G:0.45% B:0.01%)
Cubeless Equities +0.592 +1.184
Cubeful Equities
No redouble:+0.729 (-0.271)
Redouble/Take:+1.078 (+0.078)
Redouble/Pass:+1.000
Best Cube action: Redouble / Pass

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.