[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Comment on the USBGF's proposed, expanded streaming rights of ABT directors

Posted By: Jim Stutz
Date: Wednesday, 12 July 2023, at 8:45 p.m.

Regarding the following proposed USBGF rule change: "By attending, players consent to the streaming, recording and publishing of tournament activities as determined by the TD."

I am wary of conferring on directors (or on anyone else, for that matter) the absolute, unrestricted right to videotape and publish "tournament activities" as defined and determined solely by the directors themselves. This is too broad, IMO.

For example: I have no problem giving ABT directors the right to stream matches without players' consent and to air them publicly, provided the streaming content is limited to the board, the clock, the scoreboard, and remote analysis and commentary. But I do object to match streaming that includes other cameras that focus -- sometimes at close range -- on the players faces. Another way to look at this: As a player I wouldn't allow any person to sit 4-5 feet from me and pointedly stare at my face continuously -- much less point their phone at me and record video -- while I'm playing a match and trying to concentrate on the game. I would consider this behavior to be an inappropriate intrusion, and an invasion of personal space. An unmanned, similarly-positioned video camera amounts to the same thing in many important respects, and is an even greater invasion of personal space in other ways, given that the video can can be viewed by many and creates a permanent, indelible, public record over which the subject has no control.

IMO, the USBGF should impose reasonable, well-defined guidelines on directors (and others) concerning the non-consensual videotaping of players.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.