[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What's it gonna take?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 17 July 2008, at 4:29 p.m.

(This is mainly aimed at US tournaments since those are what I'm familiar with.)

Clocks won't have much of an effect until Open competitions are clocked starting at round 1. In the US that means a cache of 64 clocks should cover the situation. There is another issue which is clock accounting -- handing them out and collecting them after a match. That will require extra staff effort which could mean adding an extra staff member.

If a cache of clocks existed, there is still an issue of shipping between events, and in the US shipping costs have gone up considerably over the last year. For our Midwest events (Pittsburgh, Chicago-Midwest, Ohio, Chicago-Open, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois-Peoria) where a lot of players (like me) drive to tournaments it might not be all that hard to get volunteers. But for the East and West coast events (plus the smattering of others, like Colorado) it probably requires UPS/FedEx/etc. to get involved.

It's my feeling that players who have never run a tournaments far underestimate the cost (and manpower) required to run a tournament. I think it is insensitive to expect the directors to take on all of the burden. Yes, they could raise the entry rake but even if that doesn't hurt attendance there still needs to be front money. And don't forget the added expense of accounting for the clocks.

Are there enough US players who believe strongly in the need for clocks to just front the money? Here are some ROUNDED OFF numbers: 64 GT-II clocks at $30 each (wholesale price, I think that's right) = $2000. QUALITY shipping container: $200. Shipping between tournaments: $20/ty X 20 ty/yr = $400/yr.

Maybe we can talk the directors into providing the extra manpower (for clock accounting) if we provide the clocks and the shipping costs.

That means we need 22 players to pony up $100 initially and ~$20/yr each for the shipping. Is this doable?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.